Thursday, 27 February 2020

Day 47 - One of those days

I've been trying to send a package back to Katie for about 3 weeks now :-( And no matter how hard I try I can't get anywhere with it. FedEx are trying to charge me $300 but every time I get close to the end the website crashes. DHL and UPS are just as bad. I think I may have gotten somewhere with USPS but all I currently have is a label and a customs declaration - I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow I'm heading back over to Houston. 2020 Challenge #2 is on Saturday, the Houston Rodeo Run 10km. I did the 5km last year and I'm looking forward to stepping up and seeing how I get on with the longer version this time. I did pretty well a few weeks ago and I've been keeping up with my exercise routine so fingers crossed for this one. As always I'll be raising money for The Christie - keep an eye out tomorrow for the details once I have set the event up. 

And speaking of charity, it is Day 2 of my 40 days of Charity. Quick update from yesterday from Jo (co-founder of Friends of Serenity). She isn't sure the exact total but in there last seven years the total raised is somewhere in the region of £180,000. An unbelievable amount of amount - all down to the hard work, determination and persistence of Jo, Mark and every one else involved. Bravo.

Today's charity is another one that supports a cause that has a personal connection to me through my amazing G'ma, Elsie. 

As most of you who know our family well will be aware, G'ma has been suffering from dementia for a while now - and she is by no means alone in this world. I can't imagine a scarier thing that your life gradually fading from memory and you not being sure whether what you can remember is real or not. 

Thankfully my G'ma is lucky enough to have the greatest granddaughter you can imagine in my sister, who is there 24/7 whenever needed. But not everyone is that lucky. I remember going to see her after her fall in a place near Wythenshawe Hospital and being amazed by the number of the patients in there with dementia or some kind of other degenerative disease. And not everyone of them had someone like Lil, or my mum, or the many people who I know have helped G'ma over the years. But there are charities out there who can provide that love, care and attention for those who don't have what they need. 

The hardest part about this next 40 days or so is going to be singling out charities - I know for every single one I do mention there will be 100s and 1000s of equally worthwhile ones who I miss. 

But this is really about raising awareness, about encouraging you to see what you can give to others who need it more than you. To make the world a slightly less selfish place, and to encourage people to think about others and show that compassion we all have within us.

For the price of a cup of coffee and a sandwich you can make a difference. Every tiny but helps, and if everyone can dig into their pockets and find that loose change, I think you'll be amazes what that adds up to.

Back to today. My choice for Day 2 is Dementia UK. Although I personally have had no dealings with them, anybody who can give their time and love to supporting those with dementia deserves my gratitude and respect. So thank you for all you do.

As I said yesterday please reach out if you know of others that have more personal connections to you. This is also about me finding a balance in my life, and part of that comes from me trying to give back to those who have less than me, or who need it more. 

Till tomorrow, Tom

No comments: