Tuesday, 4 February 2020

Day 24 - A rollercoaster for the modern world

One thing I always try to be is honest about things. It is not always the easiest thing in the world but I like to think that most people respect that I'll be clear about what I'm thinking when asked (and often unsolicited as well). 

The video sums up pretty well how things have been today. It has been a real struggle and I think it is important to acknowledge when things haven't gone your way. This is instead of what I used to do - which was grumble incessantly about shit I can't control, take it out on the wrong people or bottle it up like a dropped Coke.


I've mentioned it previously but I see this blog sometimes as a place to release frustrations and get things which can clutter the brain up out. It is a way to debrief after a difficult day without ending up making decisions which I regret (such as having that take-away amongst others). 

This kind of far-flung existence can often be a real rollercoaster. I have great days full of enthusiasm and drive, and days where I am lethargic and struggle to be motivated. We all do though, I am by no means unique. 

The trick I am trying to pick up is how to roll those not-so-great days into better ones. Trying to see how I can take positives even out of days which haven't gone great. No matter what has gone on, there should always be something, some seed, which you can use to plant the roots of tomorrow. 

And to me it is all about setting yourself little goals, little things on the horizon to look forward to. Ways to work through the more difficult times and point yourself in the direction of better ones. Because there is almost always a better time somewhere in the future. 

It won't often be apparent, and it is only rarely handed to you. Life is a struggle at times but a positive mindset is something that I have been working so hard on. Taking those moments that might really have put me under undue pressure in the past and turning them around to be the starting point for a better day tomorrow.

That is really the goal here. To make each day better than the one before, but allow room for those days when it doesn't go to plan. You'll have them. We all do. But what I am trying to do is make sure those bad days aren't big setbacks which undermine the good work that has gone before. 

I'm very very fortunate with what and who I have in my life. It is important to me to look around and take stock after a bad day and remind myself of that. Sometimes it is easier than others, sometimes it is painful. But by understanding and accepting the rollercoaster of life, and making sure you dampen the downs and amplify the ups, you should be able to  always take the positives forward.

Till tomorrow, Tom 

1 comment:

Sheelaalaa said...

Well said, we can all take something from this x