Sunday, 9 February 2020

Day 28 - After the event

Apologies for the delay in posting this. I had a proper crash out yesterday evening, a combination of physical and mental exhaustion pushing me to fall asleep on the sofa and not wake up till the middle of the night! 

Plus the adrenaline and the emotions all work their way out of you slowly when you're coming down from the high of completing an event. Especially one with so much meaning personally.

I have always loved the feeling that comes from the combination of the mental elation at achieving something you set out to do and the physical tiredness reminding you of the cost. I've missed it, and I've missed the sense of invincibility that comes with it. Not physically so much as everything hurts like hell but it is in those moments that you realise your limits are so often controlled primarily your own thoughts. 

All your doubts seem to melt away, your eyes open up to the possibilities of what is actually possible. 

Ready to Go
It feels like you lose that parking brake that you often (subconsciously in a lot of cases) had engaged. The wheels are free to spin, and when they are free to spin the world is your oyster. 

It is in those moments I feel most like me. It is in those moments that I am at my most free, yet also my most focused. Life makes sense, even when it doesn't, in those moments when your eyes are wide open to the possibilities that are within your grasp.

In those moments you should seize the day and make decisions. You should ride that crest, scale that summit. You should strive to live there as long as you can, for it is the place in which great things can happen if you let them.

So 2020 event number two is ready to go. I'm running the Houston Rodeo Run again this year - though this time I am upgrading to the 10k from last year's 5k effort. It is in three weeks so there is no let up in the training. No let up in the lifestyle I've been living the last few months. 

I had a mini-blow out yesterday to celebrate but a bit of light stretching today and I'm already feeling ready to hit this one on the head. And now I have a target to aim for, to improve on yesterday. 

In fact I'm going to adopt that as a semi-official motto for the year. Make today better than yesterday. Like the sound of that.

Till tomorrow (well actually, till tonight's blog), Tom

No comments: