First experience of a Louisiana thunderstorm today. Well, multiple ones actually. One after the other a bit like planes landing at Heathrow! There was even a very brief tornado alert which is something I definitely didn't see in Manchester. Mind you, I've never experienced any kind of quake back in the UK and yet Katie tells me you had a little rumble over Manchester way earlier this week.
![]() |
| Milky Way my ass! |
Sometimes I forget that I am in a foreign country. The US and the UK share so much in terms of how they feel and look (especially during the working week) that I'm often surprised when the differences jump out at me. And it is often at the strangest moments.
Like today's trip to the kitchen at work. I thought I'd check out the vending machine, and saw something which confused me. A Milky Way. Now why would that confuse me I hear you say? it looked like this - and my UK followers will see what I mean.
What the heck is that?! That's not a Milky Way. At all. So, resorting to Wikipedia as I often do in times of confusion, I found this:
There are two variants: the global Milky Way bar, which is sold as 3 Musketeers in the US; and the US version, which is sold as the Mars bar elsewhere
It reminded me that, for all the feeling of familiarity I have when I'm here, I'm in a foreign land. There is no doubt I have begun to acclimatise quickly. I now sport the words "vacation", "restroom" and "pants" in my daily vernacular (replacing "holiday", "toilet" and "trousers"). I also say "appreciate it" instead of "thank you" quite a bit and I can't remember the last time I didn't say "have a nice day" to some in the service industry. Plus I spell in US English now. Zorry.
But every now and then I face one of those moments where it comes flooding back to me that this isn't really my country - well, not yet anyway. And I love those moments if I'm honest. I love to be reminded that this really is the adventure of a lifetime. Those are the little moments you can file away to tell people about when you next see them. They are the little things that help me to accept the hardship side of being away.
I bang on about this a lot, but trying to find a positive spin on things really is the mantra for 2020. And occasionally being reminded that I am miles from home, out of my comfort zone and yet still managing to embrace it and take wonder from it is a very nice feeling indeed.
So the rest of the week looks pretty busy with work. Then it is the run on Saturday and Sunday will be spent planning the next few months in terms of activities. You'll hopefully see some movement in terms of those pledges I made way back on Day 11 (here). Keep your eyes peeled, there is plenty on the horizon.
Till tomorrow, Tom

No comments:
Post a Comment