Sunday, 16 February 2020

Day 36 - Productive in PJs

 I've had one of the those great days where I have barely left my apartment (aside from a quick early morning gym session) but still managed to achieve loads. I love days like that. Days where, on the surface, it looks like you might have wasted them - but actually you were a productive little bunny!

It is all "routine" stuff, not high excitement. But doing it today sets me up for this week and frees my evenings up beautifully. Now the evenings can be devoted to more interesting diversions and activities. It also turns out that I'm likely to be in Houston Wed/Thur/Fri so getting my sh*t in order today will definitely help the week go smoothly. 

From this
Sometimes we forget that the simple things are just important. I'm on this big drive to make every second this year count. But realising that not every second of every day has to be exciting has been an important thing for me to get right. Too often we equate inertia with wasted time. We worry that if we aren't doing something fun then we are wasting that moment.

But to be able to fully enjoy yourself you've got to take care of the nitty-gritty - the oil to grease the wheels as it were. It is not often glamorous but needs doing. And the trick is to find a way of doing these things that don't equate to feeling like a grind. Because then you'll just find ways out.

To this
Today I've prepped meals, changed my bedding, washed a ton of clothes, ironed everything for next week, dusted everywhere and cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms all over. All while dancing around like a first class idiot. In my PJs. With my new noise-cancellers on. Singing at the top of my voice to some of the best tracks that have ever existed. And just like, a chore stops being one. That Mary Poppins had the right idea!

And the sense of satisfaction is real. It feels as good as that 10km last week, or finally finishing that book I've been circling for a few weeks. 

So find yourself a way to make those routine activities fly by. You've got to do them. Might as well stick on one tunes and show the world why you should never be allowed to sing in public. 

Hope the weekend has treated you right. And hope the week ahead is full of the wonder that we all know is out there.

Till tomorrow, Tom

No comments: