Saturday, 22 February 2020

Day 42 - The Pride of Louisiana

King Cake and a Mardi Gras Bock
(the cake is not all for me, it is
going to work on Monday)
Today was the "Krewe of Spanish Town" Mardi Gras parade in Baton Rouge. It's the final parade of the year ahead of Mardi Gras itself on Tuesday, and traditionally known as being one you don't take kids too if they can read. Yeah it gets a bit raunchy. It has been going since 1981 and appears to have quite a bit to do with flamingoes, if the website is anything to go by.

There are still some big parades to go in New Orleans but the town here is definitely taking on a purple, green and gold vibe as we begin the final run up to what appears to be one of the most important festivals in this part of the country. 

It's not surprising really. It's a state with a strong religious history mainly due to the fact that the French (hence "Louis"iana) and the Spanish both had possession of the area during periods in history when they were in the grip of staunch Roman Catholicism. 

There is a strong sense of culture and identity here, I'd say almost as strong as Texas. People are very proud to call Louisiana home and very keen to show off (and continue to retain) their  way of life for all to see.

So there is a lot of tradition. 

From the parades, to the king cake (scroll down here to read the bit about king cake in New Orleans) and the crawfish boils which are just starting to get into season. Louisiana really does have such a fierce pride in itself, which is refreshing considering the sense of detachment and frustration I have been sensing from both the UK and the US in general. It's nice to feel proud of your home, it is nice to have a sense of identity that you want to share with the world. And it is nice to come to a place and experience that fierce sense of belonging first hand.

Travelling to me is about people and their interactions, both with the landscape and each other. Yes the architecture and natural beauty in come places is staggering, but I am at my happiest when my travel involves local people, local food and local custom. I love the dichotomy of finding things that are so common to home, right alongside things that are so alien. 

I'm always striving to find new things, things that I can't get anywhere else. I'm not the kind of person who needs too many home comforts - though at times a good, proper bacon sandwich is a sad loss. US bacon just doesn't do it for me. So a place like Louisiana, which is unmistakable is right up my street. Most people I spoke to about Baton Rouge struggled to suggest things to do - and there is no doubt this is no New York / Los Angeles in terms of the tourist traps.

But there is so much here away from that to explore. I've been in town not far short of a month now, and I've found my footing. This last couple of weeks has shown me how much there is to see and do, if I'm just prepared to scratch the surface. And that suits me. Houston is very similar, not a great "tourist" city but as a visitor you can find a treasure trove of adventures and excitement, as long as you know where to dig and are happy to get your hands dirty!

Till tomorrow, Tom

No comments: