Houston Rodeo kicks off (kind of) tomorrow with the Rodeo Run. I'm doing the 10km, cos I found the 5km so "easy" last year lol. Anyway 0930 tomorrow morning I'll be on the start line ready for 2020 Challenge Event #2. The Rodeo and Livestock show has been going in some form or another since 1931 - so closing in on 90 years!
It is a spectacular event, with 20 days of livestock shows, rodeo events and a massive celebration of the Texas life-style. Over the last few weeks people have been heading to Houston on horseback via "trial rides" and the big parade is tomorrow. There is a cook-off, the Rodeo run itself and a whole loaf of pre-events before the main event kicks off on the 3rd.
I'm staying at the very fancy Hyatt Regency right in Downtown Houston and I knew I should've bought a hat. There are literally hundreds of cowboys and cowgirls downstairs - and I'll definitely be joining them tomorrow. Tonight though I need to get my beauty sleep and to prepare for the run in the morning.
The whole Rodeo thing is a huge part of Houstonian life though and something everyone should get to experience at least once. I was lucky enough to be around last year, and the timings have fallen neatly too for this year. I've got the next week in Houston and then I'll be back for the last weekend too.
And the Rodeo itself does a massive amount for local charity, donating over $8m in local scholarships last year alone (here)! So today's charity of choice is going to be the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. A Houston institution and a phenomenal supporter of the local communities which help to sustain it.
Till tomorrow y'all, Tom

No comments:
Post a Comment