Thursday, 13 February 2020

Day 33 - Learning new things

I know I know. No electronics tonight. Well I didn't have time to blog at work, plus I am trying not to leave myself two blogs to do in a day. So tough. I'll make up for it tomorrow instead, a nice bottle of wine and a relaxing bath with a book might be a better way of spending Valentine's Day than fighting the throng.

So, those of you who know me will know (I think) that I love to learn new things. I'm pretty willing to try most things once, even stuff which scares the crap out of me - see future sky dive. When I'm at my best and most positive/energetic I'm all about trying my hand at something different. That is when I know I am in a great place, when the juices are metaphorically flowing with the challenge.


The current focus is Spanish - and I am absolutely loving it. It is taking me back to simpler times, such as University when the focus was simply on learning things and partying. I won't lie, I miss it. I miss the way of life, people and I miss the variety that came from those days - which I admit sounds contradictory with learning and partying being essentially the only things on the agenda!

But you never knew what was going to happen next. You would go out for an evening with a vague plan for a few quiet drinks and a game of pool and would end up chatting completely rubbish in a random person's kitchen at 3am in the morning sharing a bottle of Buckie (low number? 1? aye perfect). 

It is that sense of randomness and adventure that has always fuelled my desire to try new things. A new challenge opens new doors, it shows you parts of life that maybe you hadn't known were there. And it makes you challenge your self, your beliefs, your limits and your comfort zone. 

It's a part of me that sadly drifted into disuse recently. I know I let certain things (mainly losing my mum) numb my sense of wonder about life. Which should never have happened. It was criminal. How can a daddy with an amazing daughter (plus two awesome nephews and a fantastic niece) lose that drive? I realised you should strive every day for the new, the exciting and the unknown. 

There are things that by nature are less exciting, less fresh. I'm lucky that I love my job (and there is always something new to learn there!) but there is still a routine about it. New things help to keep spice in life. Even routine things can be jazzed up by introducing a twist to it, an element of chaos into order. You won't always be inspired, but trying is at least half of the fun.

So do something new before the end of the month. Something maybe you've been thinking about for a while, or something completely spontaneous. Tell me about it in the comments - either here on the blog or on Facebook/Twitter. 

Hopefully we can inspire others to greater things, or share our happiness around. 

Till tomorrow,
Tom

No comments: