Saturday, 4 January 2014

Flying into the unknown

Did you know London has a cable car from Royal Victoria across the Thames to the O2 arena?!? Well I didn't until the last few days but I do now. It was a wee bit windy up there but fun all the same. Got me thinking how little we know about the places we should know the best.

I've lived in Manchester on and off for about 25 of my 33 years on the planet. Yet if someone turned up next week and asked me for a tour of the city, I'd probably be able to show them a damn good pub crawl or two. But not a great deal else.

What is it about human nature that leads us to look away from where we are for experiences that can be found closer to home. Take the UK, which has some of the most amazing scenery in the world in the Lake District, Scottish Highlands and Cotswolds (to name just a few). Yet we British seem to be obsessed with travelling to places like New Zealand to see spectacular places?!

I know I'm as guilty of this as anyone with my seemingly refreshed "Wanderlust" but it is an interesting habit we have. So my plan (yes, its another "aim" for the year) is to go somewhere new (in Manchester) every month this year.

I've heard there are some great Manchester Treasure Hunts around an about, anybody potentially up for one of these? If you might be, drop me a message on the usual twitter/facebook places.

Or anyone got any other suggestions to get me started?

Cheers for now
DT

No comments: