Well it has been another busy last week and a bit. The usual work, rest and play interspersed with a bit of business travel and a whole heap of various coffee delights.
It seems to be the norm for me at the moment so it is with some trepidation that I realised that I have a pretty quiet week and weekend coming up (well outside of work anyway!). Maybe it is just this particular time of year but I really don't like the idea of having lots of time to think to myself this week.
Sometimes it is great to have a bit of time to yourself to take stock and re-evaluate things, but often the opportunities seem to come at very inopportune times. How often do you find yourself having a VERY busy week followed by a very quiet one? And have you noticed how often those quiet weeks are just when you least need them!
It does seems that things often tend to come in clumps and it is a facet of life I have always found puzzling.
Do we like it this way? Do people like to EITHER be very busy and have lots of things on at once OR be very quiet and have plenty of time to relax and think? Is this approach preferable to being, say, 60% busy all of the time?
Personally I do prefer the peak-trough approach as it does allow you those critical periods of total relaxation which are essential to keeping sane and healthy. It is also true that when I am busy I like to be very busy, I've made the effort to set my body/mind into "on" mode and I may as well keep it in that mode for a decent length of time. No point start-stopping as that can often be more draining. The problem with this approach often is scheduling those busy times for when you need to be busy!
I'd actually be really interested to see whether others have a similar preference. Do significant batches of energy expenditure followed by periods of relaxation suit you better? Or are you an "even-keel" kind of person? And if, like me, you prefer the up-down approach - do you always seem to end up with a quiet week just about the time when you'd give anything not to have time to think about things!?
I know what'll happen this week though. I'll manage to fill it up, keep myself busy and then when it comes to the week after and I'm busy and tired I'll wonder why the hell I did that!! There never seems to be enough time in the day to accommodate everything but I think the truth is simpler - there is plenty of time to do what we want, when we want, it just doesn't seem to turn up when it should.
Today's #randomfactoftheday - Smallpox is the only infectious disease of humans to have been completely eradicated by human intervention. Polio is close to being the second, with only 223 cases in 5 countries reported in 2012.
Today's #badjokeoftheday - A red ship and blue ship collided. Both crews were marooned
Today's #websiteoftheday - Billed as "the internet's most horrible items". You can buy all of these things, though why you would is a mystery (http://theworstthingsforsale.com)
On this day: 1788, The British First Fleet sails into Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour) to establish Sydney, the first permanent European settlement on the continent.
Till next time
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment