Wednesday, 15 January 2014

The Great Divide

Well today was the day I fell back off the property ladder. To be perfectly honest I haven't lived in the house for nearly 5 years and can't even really remember the postcode but it was still a bit of an odd day. I remember buying it nearly 7 years ago and thinking it was a surreal moment, you have to borrow 35 years worth of money to buy just one "item".

Yet the amount it was sold for is HALF of what Yaya Toure allegedly earns in a week. In fact, according to my calculations he has earned the princely sum of about £800 in the 30 minutes I have been writing this blog and watching him play football (assuming he earns his money 24/7). He is obviously just one example but it got me thinking about the shocking way in which resources in general are spread around this world.

I found a website which told me that I am in the top 1% of people in the WORLD in terms of earnings. Just think about that for a moment. There are approximately 50m people who earn more than me and a simply staggering 7.1bn who earn less!

There was a study done in 2002 which calculated that we generated enough food for every single person alive in the world at the time to have 2720 calories per DAY. As you can probably guess from my tone a lot of these statistics are making me very, very frustrated. Partly because of the problem but mainly from the frustration of realizing the futility of trying to find a solution.

We have enough money, food and other natural resources to go around the entire world comfortably yet human kind suffers from a chronic problem of greed. Enough never seems to be enough for us. If everyone gave one thing to someone "poorer" than us it might be a start, but who knows.

I've been staring at this entry for a while now, because I realize I am going nowhere with it. I have no idea how to help or what I am going to do about it right at this moment, but I am determined to do something.

All I know is that the one thing I am definitely going do from right now is be more appreciative of what I do have. After all it seems that less than 1% of people in the world have more than me, and however you look at the numbers that makes me a pretty lucky guy.

Today's #randomfactoftheday - Halley's Comet was not given the title officially until it returned in 1758 as predicted by Edmund Halley. He had died 16 years early so never lived to see his prediction come true.

Today's #badjokeoftheday - I went to a zoo the other day. It only had one dog in it. It was a shitzu

Today's #websiteoftheday - http://www.globalrichlist.com/

On this day: 1759, the British Museum (maybe the second best museum ever) opened its doors

Till tomorrow
DT

No comments: