Today found myself, John and Jeff over in Baytown on site for a couple of meetings. Baytown, as mentioned oprveiously, is a bit functional. But the area around the Cedar Bayou facility has some hidden gems, you just have to know where to look. Those of you following my blog will know I have a knack for finding cool places to eat that might not seem apparent at first glance!
The very first time I ever went to the Chevron Phillips plant nearly 5 years ago I was taken to a typical Texas roadside BBQ place. And I finally managed to make it back again this lunchtime with the guys. Unfortunately I deleted the photo but the brisket and sausage at Tony's BBQ and Steakhouse in Mont Belvieu (no website) is quality all the way. And the chicken John attempted to devour was about as tender as I've ever seen. Coming in at about $14/15 for two meats, two sides and a drink this is an absolute bargain in every sense.
UPDATE: Found the food picture!

Another Texas tradition we thought we'd hit on John's last day (and Jeff's penultimate) was Cavender's (here), one of the local boot and western wear shop. For us aspiring cowboys this place is a nirvana: boots as far as the eye can see, belts, hats, shirts, pants everything you can think of.
Thought I'd treat myself a little bit in the spirit of the "just say yes year" and so I'm now the owner of not one but two delightful pairs of damn comfy boots. Just keep an eye on future blogs for their debut performances!!
To finish the Triple B in B(aytown) we managed to find ourselves a might fine pair of cheese platters in the Hilton Garden Inn hotel.
Featuring figs, honey, garlic bread, apricots, fig jam and berries (as well as the obvious cheeses) this was a culinary delight.
Seriously tasty from start to finish and well worth me hanging around in Baytown another 3-4 hours for.
Following that it was back in the Mustang and home. Jeff and John are heading back to the UK in the next few days so I'm back to being a solo Brit in the South. The gym is calling, the healthy cookbooks are singing to me - and the real adventure begins now!
Till tomorrow,
Tom

1 comment:
Mighty boot store ❤️
Post a Comment