Sunday, 12 January 2020

Day 1 - Howdy H'Town

First day back in Houston.
Weight 15st 12lb. 

Back in the familiar environment of the noise of downtown where they seemingly like to move their trains only under the cover of night! However jet lag has already grabbed me at around 3am and doesn't seem overly inclined to let me go. Standard occurrence really but I thought I'd got the hang of it by now.

However, as part of my new plan to spend more time doing things and less time thinking about doing things a quick 4am gym session seems just what the doctor (not me, a real one) would order. 

Nothing like having the gym all to oneself, despite the minor annoyance of the lights going off halfway through. 

Sitting on a bike (and riding obviously before any smartarses shout up) apparently isn't quite enough to establish light and so the final half of the session is done in almost complete darkness.


Back for a quick shower and then I managed to catch the first sunrise of my American adventure.

Cameras never do enough justice to the view but it is actually quite beautiful as far as sunrise in a city go. There is something about the anticipation of waiting for what the day is going to bring that makes the first rays of the day quite relaxing, and something I plan to see more of this year.

Obviously it is not a patch on being out in the countryside or somewhere more remote but all things considered I think this is a positive omen to start things off.

Tomorrow it is back to the project grind, but after nearly five years it feels like we are approaching the endgame of it. It's been hard but ultimately rewarding. The work-life balance is even more important when you are away from home, and a big part of that is finding yourself exciting things to do. 

I'm fortunate in that I really do love my job, but this year is all about making sure I love what I do outside of work as well. The only question is where to start! :-)

Till tomorrow, Tom

No comments: