So after nearly a year with absolutely zero in the way of blogging I'd decided to have yet another rebrand! Seemingly this is a regular occurrence.
This time however I hope that I am going to actually post something, because I have a genuine motivation for this. I'm the luckiest guy in the entire world because I get to be the daddy to the most amazing daughter in the world, Katie. And a big part of this blog will help me keep in touch with her (and show her what I'm up to) from over 3000 miles away.
I'm lucky enough to travel with work, and as a result I'm relocating to Baton Rouge for a year as part of a new assignment. I've spent a bit of time in Houston over the last 4-5 years on a separate project, but this is different. This is a proper relocation complete with apartment, car and visa!
Part of being able to travel with work is being given a golden opportunity to try things I would never have been able to.
![]() |
| Me and the Monkey |
I turn 40 this year and Katie's mum and I recently agreed to end our engagement. We are still going to be friends and raise Katie as mummy and daddy, but nevertheless this constitutes a seismic change in my life. All the plans that were starting to mature are gone, and new plans are needed to fill the spaces that now exist.
I've also had a chance to look back on the last few years and realise I am neither the person I used to be, nor the one that I wish to be. I became so scared about the future and losing what I had, that I forgot to live in the moment and cherish what was there. I've already lost so much as a result, and with my mum dying ahead of her time a few years ago this mortality has been brought into sharper relief.
![]() |
| Enjoying the Business Class |
So 2020 marks a change, a reversion to where I was 3-4 years or so ago. I'm going to be saying "yes" to things, instead of finding reasons to say no. I'm restarting my challenges, whilst trying to raise as much money for the fabulous Christie hospital in Manchester who supported mum unwaveringly. I'm also going to get as fit as I've been in years and tick so many things off my bucket list that I should have done with others when I had the chance.
Along the way I want to show you Houston and Baton Rouge, and dispel some of the myths people who aren't from this part of the world have. The people, places, cuisine and culture are amazing - I hope this comes through from my blog. So this is Day 0 and I'm writing this from 37,000 ft as I cross the Atlantic for the next (but by no means last) great adventure.I hope you come along for the ride, and enjoy it.
Till tomorrow, Tom



2 comments:
Fab start to the blog Tom. Looking forward to reading along.
Good luck Tom!
All best, hope all goes well & to plan.
The Godfather (Alan H.)
Post a Comment