Yesterday was pancake day. I missed it. Mainly as I had a dentist appointment and my mouth tasted strongly of blood but also because I forgot. Neither of those points are in any way relevant to the topic of this blog but I thought I'd share them with you anyway. I am nice like that.
What IS the topic of today's blog I hear you ask? Well, human laziness basically. To my relatively untrained eye, pancake batter consists of eggs, flour and milk. But apparently you can now buy a special "pancake mix" from the supermarket which just requires you to add milk. In other words, they have kindly mixed together the eggs and flour for you, as we all know that is unbelievably tricky to get right and is a real time-consumer. You have to be kidding me!?
Have we got so lazy that we are now expecting more and more things to be done on our behalf? Did you know for example that there are kids over in Japan and China whose job it is to play computer games all day? But not for their own benefit, rather it is for yours. They will play 8-10 hours per day (sometimes more) essentially "levelling up" your characters for you so you don't have to bother doing it. Now, call me crazy, but doesn't that defeat the point of playing the game yourself?
And what about this "JD and coke in a can"? Is it so difficult now to take some JD and add your own coke to it? We use the "lack of time" excuse to justify some of the laziest and most bizarre behaviour imaginable. I appreciate that some things need to be delegated in a busy life but surely people have to draw the line somewhere.
It seems that we won't even take the time to mix our own eggs and flour together, so what chance do we have of actually undertaking anything which involves either time and effort. It is no surprise that we are turning into a short-term obsessed, obese society here in the "developed" world.
So please don't take the easy way out folks. Don't always look for the quick fix or the shortcut or the way around. Make the time to do some of these simple things. Often it is mere minutes out of your day and you may find that the enforced slow-down may actually help you to take stock and occasionally look at your life as it passes you by. There is pleasure to be taken from doing some of these things, don't miss out on it.
And mix your own pancake batter please.
Today's #randomfactoftheday - Only four of the 193 UN member states have never joined the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty; India, Pakistan, Israel and South Sudan. North Korea DID join at one point but have since left.
Today's #badjokeoftheday - BREAKING NEWS: David Blaine's record of 40 days in a box doing nothing has been broken by Fernando Torres.
Today's #websiteoftheday - Okay so I may be a teeny bit obsessed with this game. RULE THE WORLD, kind of (http://en.forgeofempires.com/?invitor_id=1687777&world_id=en3&ref=player_invite_link)
On this day; 1616, Nicolaus Copernicus's book De revolutionibus orbium coelestium is banned by the Catholic Church
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment