Feeling surprisingly relaxed considering the upcoming challenge of Mighty Deerstalker on Saturday. Weird how sometimes ahead of a major event or activity I can be as calm as a millpond whereas for others I'm a fidgety, twitchy mess. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either; I was more nervous before doing a 5 minute talk the other week than I was before my PhD viva. One was quite important in the grand scheme of things, but not the one I was nervous for.
I wonder if there is some kind of reverse effect here, do things that really really matter actually focus the mind more and leave less time for nerves? And do things that sub-consciously aren't that important in the grand scheme of things lend themselves to nervous excitement rather than genuine worry? Is it the case that this nervous excitement manifests itself externally whereas real worry or concern results in a very introverted situation?
More likely is the case that the human body processes so many factors and functions that the essential "algorithm" for determining whether something makes you nervous or not is so fundamentally complex. There appears to be no logic behind these feelings simply because we haven't found a way of working out what the logic is. This is certainly not unusual in the world; generally things are far more complex than we are capable of determining, though we do make pretty good attempts at understanding the world in certain fields.
So I'm left in a state of surprising calm which itself is now starting to unnerve me! Shouldn't I be panicking like crazy ahead of the event?!? Maybe by the start time I will be, who knows? For now however I'll settle for a nice chill out safe in the knowledge that I've clearly got this under control, if I didn't my body and mind would be warning me.
Probably. Maybe?
Today's #randomfactoftheday - The most remote city with a population of 1 million is Auckland. It's nearest 1mil+ neighbour is Sydney, 2169km away.
Today's #badjokeoftheday - Q: What type of bears dissolve in water? A: Polar
Today's #websiteoftheday - Not sure how genuine this is, but it purports to allow you to name a star :-) (http://www.starregistry.co.uk/)
On this day; 1781, William Herschel discovers Uranus
Till next time,
DT/
No comments:
Post a Comment