Day 70. 10 weeks into my US Adventure. Did anyone see it going like this? Anyone at all? Didn't think so.
These are troubling times. Louisiana has used a statewide SIP (Shelter in Place) from 5pm tomorrow amidst fears that the escalation rate is higher here than anywhere in the world. 800+ cases from only 3,500 tests are worrying numbers. Thankfully the mortality rate is low (only 20 deaths at last count) but the trends are not good (here).
There is mounting worry here, you can feel it on the local news channels and around the place. People are readying themselves, people are getting preparing for the worst. And this is state that has been devastated more than once in the last 15-20 years by natural disasters. When the Louisianians begin to worry, it's hard not to join in. This is a state with below average health care and below average access to what is needed to fight an epidemic. There are a lot of nursing homes, elder residents and vulnerable. This is getting a lot worse before it gets better.
There is nothing that can be done other than follow the instructions, look out for each other and just wait this thing out. It is a helpless feeling - and that is for someone who is at significantly lower risk than others out there. A stiff British upper lip helps here, as does the fact that I am comfortable in my own company for long periods of time. Which is a good thing as I'm going to need to be.
However, that said, life goes on. You just get on with it, que sera sera, and do what you can. I managed to have pretty good weekend despite all the unease (you'll notice I'm doing one blog per weekend until I can get out more). I managed to speak to Katie for a long while on Saturday and she finally got her first US care package :-) Looks like she enjoyed it.
Other thing I've been making good progress on is my 3D jigsaw of Winterfell. It's a lot more complicated than I first thought but it is taking shape at least. Long way to go but it is keeping the grey matter ticking over and that's about all I can ask for at the moment.
Stay safe everyone, look after each other.
Till tomorrow, Tom


No comments:
Post a Comment