Tuesday, 24 March 2020

Day 73 - A bit of a mish mash

Today's blog doesn't really have any theme or direction to it. I've noticed that most of my recent ones have (quite rightly) focused on the coronavirus and the almost overwhelming sense of helplessness I've been feeling this far away from home, and those I love. 

It has been so difficult, watching developments back home and not being able to do much about it. I know you can't do it all now, but there should be no reason not to spend time with those that you love, those that you care about. Friends and family. Don't neglect them, don't take them for granted, make that call. Being 4000 miles away sucks at times, don't use smaller distances as an excuse. It frustrates me when I see people not taking opportunities that not all of us have (for whatever reason).

Anyway, now that I'm locked down for the next 3 weeks (minimum) there was a real worry that I'd continue on the same vein and forget the purpose of this blog - to stay in contact with folks and give them some insight into life in the USofA. 

Once this clears I'll be back on the road again and hopefully giving you a broader sense of what it is like down here on the banks of Old Blue. But form now I hope you'll indulge me some "me me me" time as I take you through what life looks like for Doctor Tom at the moment!

I've not managed to quite keep up with my 5 things I wanted to do, primarily as two of them involved being outside. But I have still been trying new things (and trying to re-invigorate old things) as I've been pottering along.

Spanish
I've been at this for a while now and I'm getting competent enough to be able to read bits in Spanish magazines and newspapers. Which is nice. Only bits though, and my vocabulary is still woefully short of poor even! But I can pick up sentence structure and I'm beginning to get the hang of written Spanish too. The big test is obviously going to come once I get out and about and begin to meet people who speak it. That'll come after the virus clears.

Gym/Yoga
The gym is closed now. But I've readjusted and got myself a daily exercise routine - plus a couple of runs a week. The weight is coming off slower than it did at the start but I'm losing inches all round (well, not ALL around) so that's good. I've also recently taken up yoga with the brilliant Adriene. I'm doing the 30 days of Yoga one at the moment and am already noticing the difference in flexibility. Though my knees do make noises they never used to!

Take up a new hobby
I have a couple of exciting developments on the way here. 

As well as becoming a full-on 3D jigsaw addict (check out Winterfell now, the main castle is done) I'm soon to be frustrating my neighbours as I try to learn to play the piano. I've got no music talent whatsoever, but what the hell eh? Problem is that the delivery is delayed for coronavirus so it might be a few weeks before it arrives. As long as I can play something recognisable by the time I come back I'll consider it a success. Hopefully you may even get a Katie/Daddy duet when I get good enough - but not yet.


The other one is a secret. Till it arrives on Saturday. Can't give all my secrets away in one blog. But I will give you a hint. Think small. And cute. And no, it's not a pet.

Challenges
Two 10km runs done. And I'm itching for another one. But I'll have to wait until the virus looks like it is clearing up before I commit to anything serious. And the sky-dive is still on. As soon as I can confirm the date I'll be after money for Christie. So be prepared :-) I'm still hopefully I can get 6-10 in this year, but again we'll see.

Other post virus stuff
Once I'm allowed out again I've got even more irons in the fire. I've joined the Baton Rouge Sunday Social Running Club (here), just waiting to get out now. And I've got plans to join a few of the local disk golfers for a round or two. Plus when sport comes back I've got my eyes on a baseball/softball league and a bit of over-40s soccer when I finally pass the milestone.

So despite everything, life is busy. In these uncertain times it is the best way to be. It hurts to dwell on the past, so I'm trying not to. And the future has so much going for it. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Till then, Tom

No comments: