The news the last few weeks has been dominated by two things over here in the USA. The "Primary" elections which are helping to shape the political landscape ahead of the upcoming Presidential election, and the outbreak of the Coronavirus.
One is being treated as a matter of grave importance which affects the whole fabric of life and society as a whole, the other is a potential global pandemic (the sixth Public Health Emergency of International Concern since 2009) which has barely made the news here in Texas.
Someone in the lift today at work even made the comment, "I really hope they stop overreacting about this, I have a vacation to Italy in a few weeks and it is non-refundable"! Zero perspective, zero empathy, zero understanding of the wider world and the things that others are dealing with.
It is all a matter of perspective and empathy, and somewhat related to the inherent selfishness (or at least "looking after number one" -ness) that we are often guilty of, particularly in the good old developed world.
"What matters to me is more important than anything else".
Don't get me wrong, I get that attitude. And I'm sure I practice it sometimes! But a significant number of problems with the world in 2020 stem from the inability (and often unwillingness) of people to look beyond one's own opinion and see the world through other people's eyes. The job I do (I design chemical plants) is often lambasted in the media due to its perceived impact to the climate change problem. But people often fail to understand that without what I do, the world as we know it simply can't function. So you want the "good" without understanding there is "downside" that comes with it.
There is no perspective, the narrative is twisted to suit the agenda of whoever is trying to make the point (FAKE NEWS!) and it doesn't drive the conversation the wrong way.
A sense of perspective is important, generally. So many things get distorted and twisted into such a position that they can seem like the end of the world - and to some people they are. To be fair, context is very important here. One person's life or death situation can obviously correspond to something which doesn't even register on someone else's radar.
Everyone struggles with these things throughout life. We've all been guilty I'm sure of overplaying the importance of something in the past, equally I'm sure we've all had opportunity to look back and say "hmmm, maybe that was important after all!". Once again it is about balance though, as so many things in life are. Balance is something we all need, whether we realise it or not!
Passion is fantastic, having things to care about is a big part of life. Everything needs a context though - and I think that is where we can all do a bit better. We also need to do a better job of empathy. Try to understand WHY a person doesn't share the same opinion as you, or has different priorities to you. It's the old "walking a mile in people's shoes" cliche.
With the world the way it is we need to come together more. We need to help to breed a culture of tolerance and understanding. Learning to appreciate what makes others tick and what others care about, without diluting your own passions and cares - that can go a long way to making the world a better place.
Till tomorrow, Tom
1 comment:
Food for thought x
Post a Comment