Friday, 2 May 2014

So what do you know? On second thoughts....

So I've started my latest MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) called Start Writing Fiction. It's a free course hosted by the Open University so I'm very excited to see what it is all about and hopefully get some hints and tips for my own writing exploits. 

I've always found writing to be a very difficult art form and I am often in awe of people who do it well. We had an assignment today to write two short paragraphs; one with 3 facts and 1 fiction element, the other with 3 fiction and 1 fact. It turns out that writing the factual one and keeping it interesting is a damn sight harder than it seems. They often say "write what you know" so I tried that. 

Well it turns out I know a lot of very, very uninteresting things which sound even more boring when written down and articulated! Thankfully my imagination still seems to be working wonders but wow I hadn't realised how thoroughly tedious some of the things I know are. I feel I should apologise profoundly to anyone who has had to endure some of my fun facts and interesting tidbits.

You see, even this blog about how boring factual stuff can be compared to the blank canvas and wonder that is made-up things has proven to be staggeringly boring itself. I think that counts as irony but I've never been 100% sure what irony actually is since Alanis Morissette had what I shall describe as a pretty shoddy attempt at explaining it. 

So with that in mind I shall waste no more of your time today. I'm off to try and find some genuinely interesting things to try and incorporate (a) into my next story and (b) into my next human conversation!! 

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that I've stopped (a) blogging every day and (b) doing my "daily" joke/fact/website etc.. Well the truth is that I've run out of jokes, even bad ones, and I've now shared everything of value the internet has to offer.

OK the ACTUAL truth is that I can't be bothered doing the "daily" stuff every day as it was starting to feel like a chore. I will do it if I find something worthwhile but not just for the sake of it. I'm still trying to blog every day but I've got plenty of my mind to keep me busy so we'll see how we go from now. I've lasted longer than I expected so yey to me!

Till next time,
DT

No comments: