So yesterday's blog didn't happen. I had a pretty rubbish one written actually but before I got a chance to submit it we lost power in the house. It didn't come back till after midnight and I basically couldn't be bothered booting my laptop up to upload it. Yep, I'm THAT lazy sometimes. On the plus side it gave me some more material which has saved you from having to read about the recent proliferation science fiction movies (or something similar I think).
I realised very quickly over that short blackout period just why the world's energy resources are depleting quite rapidly. I also realised precisely how overly dependent we in the developed world have become on electricity and the various "solutions" it provides. Internet, lights, ability to charge various devices, "mobile" entertainment (i.e. TV and games) and quick, warm food are all lost to us when we don't have power.
Yet a staggering 1.3 billion people in the world have NO access to electricity, never mind the figure we can add to that who have an unreliable electricity source. I suppose it is another example of the divide between the haves and the have-nots in this world but I seem to have become so dependent for everything (both essential and non-essential) on a resource that a huge number of people can only dream about accessing. It is not a situation that sits particularly well with me if I am honest.
Climate change from excessive carbon dioxide emission is a hot topic (pardon the pun) but I want to make it clear that I am not approaching this from that particular angle. There already plenty of movements and actions around the world which exist to highlight the potential problems of carbon over-use and climate change and I applaud their attempts to raise awareness of the issues.
This is more of a personal thing, more of an acknowledgement that sometimes I take things for granted in this life that other people do not have - often as a simple consequence of where in the world they were born. Like I said, that doesn't sit right with me. I feel I have lost a bit of a sense of perspective on some things and it worries me. It is very easy to become insular and self-concerned (and it is not always a bad thing mind you) but I'm feeling that I have lost my way somewhat.
So I have started a new initiative myself. For one hour every single day, I intend to disconnect ALL electricity that I practically can from my life - so that is laptops, phones, TV, radio, microwave etc.. Yes it is not much, and you might argue it is not the same as living without a fridge or without heating and so on but I don't currently own my own place so practicalities do have to come into it somewhat. You might also sarcastically say, "oh well done, living without luxuries for one hour a day, that must be so hard". Again, it is a good point, this is hardly the ultimate sacrifice and I'm not planning on accepting a Nobel Prize or anything like that soon.
But for me I just think something like this might help me to get a bit more balance in my life, might help me to understand how fortunate I really am in the grand scheme of things and hopefully will help me to get a better sense of proportion and appreciation for those things which I do undoubtedly do take for granted every single day.
You are welcome to join me.
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment