The day before the challenge is always a slightly surreal one. I compare it to the last few minutes before you go into an exam; you have pretty much done everything you can, it is going to happen whether you want it to or not and it's all about getting in the right frame of mind.
The one on the way in about 21 hours is Challenge #13 and it will be a break from the "recent-norm". My last 3 challenges have been various mud runs and before that it had been mainly 5km runs since September. But tomorrow it is back to the triathlons, my third overall and first since August 2013.
Now admittedly it is only a Super Sprint triathlon (200m swim, 20km bike, 2.5km run) but there is still a nervousness which I always get before these events. How will I sleep tonight? Will I wake up with any twinges? What do I need to pack for the event? Have I got everything I need?
But there is also a buzz too at this stage, particularly when it is a new event that I haven't done yet. There is the sense of expectation and excitement too that comes with knowing that I am lucky enough to be able to do these things for fun and that I am able to set myself targets and hit them like this. It is not quite a "kid before Christmas" scenario but there is an element of that in it.
The one down side of the day before is that, when you get to this point, you really just want to get on with it. I don't start until 12:45pm tomorrow so there is still quite a bit of waiting around before we get underway and on with the business of getting round the course.
I'm very fortunate too in that I am able to undertake these Challenges for such a fantastic cause, that really gives me a huge sense of purpose and inspiration - no mention the boost it gives me when something gets tough. As does the support I get, both on the day and through the fantastic donations and best wishes that are always forthcoming.
With that in mind, if anyone wants to come down to Barony Park in Nantwich tomorrow then there is loads going on for all the family, plus some high quality triathloning will be taking place. Check out the link here for all the information and hopefully see some of you around.
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment