The last week or so has definitely felt like a transition between things. It is no longer feeling like a short-term trip and more and more like I am here for the year (which obviously I am). I'm not sure why it is now that this has suddenly happened - other than the amount of time I've had to spend in the apartment due to the virus has gone up drastically in the last few weeks.
I've also made more and more touches around the apartment which are making me feel like this is a more permanent home. And I think this is now the longest single trip away, so maybe that has contributed too.
Part of those "touches" has involved getting myself on with some new hobbies. As well as taking up Spanish, jigsaw puzzles and rediscovering my PS4, I've also branched out into gardening (well, the long-term Bonsai plan) and, more recently, music. As you can see in the video I have decided to embrace my complete lack of musical skill and try to learn an instrument - actually several. The first one to arrive is the banjo, so good luck to the neighbours!
I find it so important to keep busy. Time can be so fleeting and I think I owe it to myself to try and use it as productively as possible. Plus it helps take my mind of things going on around the world, not to mention some things about my life that I prefer not to dwell on. But it is also important to have variety. To have different ways of relaxing. Some that challenge the brain, some that don't. Physical ones, mental ones, a combination of the two - variety really is the key to keeping anything interesting and fresh.
It's not easy with the restrictions that are in place, and don't seem to be going anywhere soon, but there are 100s of ways out there to keep yourself (and others) entertained. And with modern technology it is becoming more and more practical to spend that time with others as well.
Katie and I have been doing her schoolwork together the last few days - hopefully freeing Nat up to get on with her uni work and wait for the inevitable call to arms from the NHS. And that's the other key, working together to keep others engaged and entertained through this difficult time takes team-work and some level of sacrifice.
![]() |
| Tasty Chilli |
Being busy is all part of modern life. It's being the right kind of busy that I've been working towards over the last few weeks. Now where did I put the banjo?!
Till tomorrow, Tom


1 comment:
I think your sister might need help with home-schooling. Perhaps you could offer your services there
Post a Comment