"Success breeds success" they say. In cricketing parlance fielding teams tend to say "one brings two" - meaning of course, get one batsmen out and you might have a good chance at getting another one. It basically means that it is important to build on good things, good days, good experiences - use them as a catalyst for pushing onto the next good thing.
One of the things that has been so tough about this lockdown is building positive momentum. When you are confined to four walls (with a few exceptions) it can be difficult to continue being positive about things and to use previous successes to fuel others.
But not impossible. I think the key thing I'm starting to learn about this lockdown is how important it is to be flexible - but also to be resilient if things don't go your way. You can't always have the opportunities to build positive momentum, but that doesn't mean success need to be isolated. If you can learn to take positive energy when you generate it and find a way to channel it (not always in the same direction) then you a good distance along the way of surviving this lockdown - not only intact but in a better position than where you started.
It makes sense when you think about it. A really good gig gets you buzzing and in the mood for another one. A great meal always seems to leave you wanting more no matter how full you are. And there is no better way to get over the end of a holiday or a trip than to get planning another one. I am sure this is some psychological or neurochemical effect within the brain that explains fully this relationship between doing something fun and suddenly wanting nothing more than to keep doing it. But I'll leave that to the professionals!
All I know is that when you get that urge and/or that intense enthusiasm and desire to do something then it is your brain giving you some fantastic advice. "That was brilliant, let's do that again soon". And who am I to argue with my brain on something so important? the key is to make sure you find multiple angles, multiple different ways to channel that energy. That way, if your first plan isn't available then you can always have back-up which means that great, positive momentum isn't wasted.
Till tomorrow,
Tom
One of the things that has been so tough about this lockdown is building positive momentum. When you are confined to four walls (with a few exceptions) it can be difficult to continue being positive about things and to use previous successes to fuel others.
But not impossible. I think the key thing I'm starting to learn about this lockdown is how important it is to be flexible - but also to be resilient if things don't go your way. You can't always have the opportunities to build positive momentum, but that doesn't mean success need to be isolated. If you can learn to take positive energy when you generate it and find a way to channel it (not always in the same direction) then you a good distance along the way of surviving this lockdown - not only intact but in a better position than where you started.
It makes sense when you think about it. A really good gig gets you buzzing and in the mood for another one. A great meal always seems to leave you wanting more no matter how full you are. And there is no better way to get over the end of a holiday or a trip than to get planning another one. I am sure this is some psychological or neurochemical effect within the brain that explains fully this relationship between doing something fun and suddenly wanting nothing more than to keep doing it. But I'll leave that to the professionals!
All I know is that when you get that urge and/or that intense enthusiasm and desire to do something then it is your brain giving you some fantastic advice. "That was brilliant, let's do that again soon". And who am I to argue with my brain on something so important? the key is to make sure you find multiple angles, multiple different ways to channel that energy. That way, if your first plan isn't available then you can always have back-up which means that great, positive momentum isn't wasted.
Till tomorrow,
Tom
1 comment:
Keep up the good work xx
Post a Comment