Friday, 10 April 2020

Days 88,89,90 - A hodgepodge

Been an interesting last two/three days - I guess you could describe it as a combination of the old and the new.

For some reason Facebook has been high on the memories this last week or so. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think it is important sometimes not to distort memories too much by looking at them through the larger magnifying glass of life. 

I still get regular items pop up from the last 5 years with Natalie, and to be honest with the years before with other Natalie. I try to look at them in isolation, remember the happy time that came with the good memory, rather than ignore or suppress them because of what came later. For example, last year we had so many cool moments from our trip to Cyprus - and they remain moments that I'll cherish. Because they should. 

And Katie showed me a picture today that she's just had put in a frame of a wedding the three of us went to a few years ago now. I love that she is still able to look back on that evening with love and affection. I love that she is able to just take those moments of happiness in isolation and remember the positives about them. 

You shouldn't look back at your life and retrospectively review events because things didn't end the way you wanted. You shouldn't feel like you have to remember something differently because of what happened later. Live the moment, in the moment. Or maybe what I'm saying is I feel lucky that I don't have to do that.

But a part of looking back at old memories is trying to forge new ones, not easy in these uncertain times for sure. Finding new hobbies, new "obsessions", new loves is always important for keeping things fresh. I managed to find myself a couple of new TV shows to keep me entertained, not to mention a new book series or two. Plus you can see the (limited) progress I'm making on the banjo below!


All-in-all I just think it is so important to take the good from what has been, and try to forge the best future you can. And if you don't give something a whirl, you'll never know what you don't know. If you do make a mistake or go down a path you realise you shouldn't, hey you can usually rescue it before you go too far! 

Till tomorrow,
Tom

ps- how about last night's storm eh? 

No comments: