I firmly believe that life is about experiences and creating memories. When all is said and done, your life essentially IS the sum of those experiences and memories you have gathered over the years. It is not the sum total of the possessions you own but rather the cumulative total of all the things you have seen and done. And that includes the good ones and the not-so-good ones equally.
A huge part of these experiences and memories for me is the people that you choose to do these things with. The greatest experiences that I can look back on combine these elements of not just "what" but "who". After all it is other people and our interactions with them which drive most of our day-to-day lives. Whether it is people you work with, people you spend time with or people you glimpse into the lives of (both fictional and non-fictional).
I can be personally guilty of being very insular and particular isolated sometimes. I'm not going to lie, some days I don't want to see another single human being. It is not necessarily because I don't like other people but simply that occasionally it is OK to do things on your own.
However this lockdown, coupled with the remoteness from the people I love, is reminding me more and more to take advantage of opportunities to do things with those people who mean the most to me. Say yes more often than not, even if the thing you are saying yes to might not have been on your radar initially.
And also be aware that it is not always the same person (or set of people) who make the experiences special. Sure you might do the majority of things with a particular person but everyone needs space and time to make their experiences and memories in the way that feels right to them. So it is important to find a group of people you can trust, and who can add to your experiences in different ways. Sort of like "horses for courses" but with people 'I guess!
Every day gives us the opportunity to enrich our lives and to add another "notch" to the belt of life experiences. Even in these very difficult times. And the things that we can't do now, start working out how to make them happen - and who you wanna drag along for the adventure.
Till tomorrow, Tom
No comments:
Post a Comment