Wednesday, 13 August 2014

REVIEW: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams

Phew, I think I’ve just about caught up on all my book and film reviews now. That’s a side effect of having periods of mania; you get a ridiculous amount of things done. Plus you also organise a ridiculous amount of things (such as trips and challenge events) but thankfully my credit card that I use on Amazon has expired so I didn’t bankrupt myself there!

On to book #20 of the year then, and it is one I am surprised it has taken me so long to get to. Douglas Adams’ “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” (HHGG) is one of my ultimate “go to” books. Ever since I was young I have been fascinated by the story of Arthur Dent and I think I have seen, read or listened to every single adaptation going in the English language.

So it is a bit of a mystery why it has taken me so long to get around to his other stuff, specifically in this case, Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (DGHDA).

*SPOILER ALERT*

It is probably going to be difficult to review this without drawing at least a few comparisons to the Hitchhiker’s Guide so I apologise in advance.

DGHDA is typical of Adams’ style. It is irreverent and funny in places, but also clever and incisive in others. He really did have a method all of his own and I think you would probably work out that this is him telling a tale even if you didn’t know.

The lead character of Gently is a fascinating one and to me there is little doubt that he is an extension of Adams’ own psyche. Adams was a bit unique to say the least, and Gently is no different. They both seem to exist on a slightly different mental plane to the rest of the world.

Gently’s mannerisms and quirky behaviour resonate and remind me of Adams, at least the Adams we know from his interviews and public appearances, clearly smarter than most of us but also one of the most lateral of thinkers. They both find an angle from which to approach a situation which appears to elude the majority of us.

The other characters seem peripheral to the story and, with the exception of the delightful Reg, don’t have the level of development we see from the secondary characters in the HHGG universe. But this is all about Dirk really so the story manages to move along well enough despite this slightly lightweight supporting cast.

As for the story, I do have one bit of advice. Don’t read a few pages then leave it aside and come back to it a week later. Part of Adams’ skill is the little things, the subtle bits that seem unimportant at the time but turn out to be critical. There are plenty of those in here and I found myself turning back on numerous occasions to try and piece bits back together.

Adams is notoriously “twitchy” with his plots, jumping around between three or four differing strands that you know are connected but can’t quite work out how. DGHDA is no different so it takes a certain state of mind to take everything in and enjoy it to its fullest.

The plot itself is unsurprisingly unlike anything you’ve really seen before, containing amongst other things; an Electric Monk, a dead (though not initially) millionaire, a seemingly repentant ghost, a time-travelling professor and a “normal” bloke stuck in the middle trying to work out what the heck is going on.

The denouement felt a bit rushed and the solution to the mystery seemed a bit, not simplistic but rudimentary. Adams created this great little storyline and clearly knew the desired ending but the path between the two felt somewhat disjointed at times.

However the one element that is here in abundance is the humour. Adams has always had a very distinct sense of humour and DGHDA displays it to its finest. It’s not laugh-out-loud funny but rather very clever and precise about when and where to inject the wit. You find yourself smiling broadly at a particular clever section without realising you are doing it.

So overall how did this rate? Well it’s not quite up to the epic HHGG, however in its defence it doesn’t try to be. DGHDA is fun in its own right and certainly worth a read. Fans of Douglas Adams won’t be disappointed, while those who have never experienced his delightful style will hopefully be inspired to try HHGG – which you definitely need to have do.


Verdict: 4 stars out of 5

No comments: