Monday, 18 August 2014

Living up to expectations - hopefully

Sunday sees the next in the long line of Tom's Silly Adventures - Challenge #16 would you believe?! It's been nearly 16 months since the first one and I didn't think I'd still be doing them. This one is a bit different though, there are four of us doing it and two of the four are OCR "noobies".

It's a weird feeling but I really desperately want them to enjoy it. I love OCR (despite my mid-race grumblings) and I'd be really gutted if I said to someone, "come along you'll love it" and they really don't enjoy. You feel responsible because in you've talked it up and it somehow can feel like your fault if it doesn't live up to expectations.

I've found it to be a common feeling though, a sense of nervousness and excitement on behalf of whatever it is you are essentially the representative for. I'll find myself worrying for the whole of the event probably; just hoping we get to the end and our two noobies say "that was AMAZING, let's do it again". You want people to have as much fun as you, but you also want people to feel the same sense of enjoyment out of something that you do.

So this Sunday's Challenge will be a multi-edged one. Hopefully I'll get round in one piece and  the after party will be epic - involving lots of booze and a parmo. But even more importantly, it'll live up to all the hype and we'll get a couple more converts to the brilliance that is Obstacle Course Racing.

Bring. It. On!!

Till next time,
DT

No comments: