Friday, 15 August 2014

Rediscovering past glories

I've recently rediscovered the beauty and enjoyment of whisky. Proper single malt whisky from Scotland. I spent a total of eight years at university in Scotland (St. Andrews) and I had never touched a drop of the stuff before I went. However, a friend of mine was a member of the whisky tasting society (the "Quaich Society") and he suggested I come along and try it.

I loved it, it was certainly a different experience to the thoroughly enjoyable pints of Tennants I had been enjoying up until that point. Over the years I consumed a lot of the amber nectar, though not very "intelligently" if you know what I mean? I enjoyed it but I didn't really know why; I couldn't really tell the difference between the different types and the process of making it confused me a lot.

Over the last few years I've stopped drinking it for some reason that I can't put my finger on, I know its definitely not a conscious decision - it is one of those situations you suddenly realise where you are without being aware of getting there.

Anyway, a friend of mine has recently gotten into whisky in a big way and he has been kind enough to share some with me. It reminded me of how much I loved it and I couldn't believe that I had stopped! I don't know whether you describe it as nostalgia but it kind of falls into the category of things you look back wistfully at and say "ah, remember the good old days".

We seem to do it more and more as we get old, things that were a huge part of our youth drop away and fade - replaced more often than not by "real" life rearing its head. Then there is inevitably a "retro" era when everything comes back into fashion and you remember all the things that you used to love. It find it a very curious facet of human existence.

Rediscovering my love for whisky has got me thinking about all the other things I used to love doing but simply don't make the time for anymore. Cooking, reading and playing cricket have already been rekindled this year but there are so many more things that are waiting to be refound.

So give it a try. Have a think back at the things you used to love doing, pick one and see if the love comes back. I bet you a good glass of Islay that it does.

Till next time,
DT

No comments: