Sunday, 23 February 2014

Success breeds success

Today saw the successful completion of Tom's Many Silly Adventures Challenge #10. You can check out my website for all the details but the general gist of it was; 6km obstacle/mud run including a pleasant dip in the lake and several encounters with zombies. The two man team of Rick and I managed to get round in 47:16 which smashed our original target of 1 hour by some distance.

Before  After

However, it is the effect that completing one of these events has on people (well, me actually) that I wanted to comment on today. Why oh why is my first reaction upon completing one of these things, "that was awesome, I want to do another"?!

Don't get me wrong, they are great and I do want to do more. But why does my mind seem to completely ignore the messages coming from my body at the particular instant in time? Messages which are usually along the line of, "the following parts of your body hurt, please lie down and attempt no further moving for the foreseeable future".

It is pretty obviously some kind of adrenaline or endorphin rush (coupled with the sense of achievement of finishing something) that causes this phenomenon but it can be a dangerous one, particularly if armed with the internet and some method of paying for these new events. I don't know whether it is part of my mind playing a funny joke on me while the other parts concentrate on reminding me the pain I'm in, and how tired I am feeling.

So having just dragged myself round Challenge #10, and acutely aware of how sore I'll be tomorrow, I have since spent the rest of the afternoon finding new things to sign up for, though thankfully resisting the urge! I definitely need my head looking at, and preferably re-wiring. It's not just physical things either, I spent approximately 12 years as a student due to the fact that every time I finished I thought, "I enjoyed that so let's do it again"!

Anyway, Challenge #11 is merely 20 days away - the fantastically named "Mighty Deerstalker". This is going to be a team of 4 or 5 so it should be cracking fun. I just wish it was a few more weeks away! Because tomorrow I'm going to feel today's effort and I'm going to be very grateful that I somehow managed to ignore what I am going to call the "glutton for punishment" instinct which would have had me signing up for something next week if I had succumbed.

Today's #randomfactoftheday - The world's largest jellyfish is the Lion's Mane. It is 8ft in diameter and has some 50m of tentacles.

Today's #badjokeoftheday - I've used this one many times before, but its is so ridiculously funny that it gets another airing (I don't get out much by the way).

1: Knock, Knock. 2: Who's there? 1: Europe. 2: Europe who? 1: Europe who too!

Today's #websiteoftheday - Build your own website (http://www.wix.com/)

On this day; 1941, Plutonium is first produced and isolated by Dr Glenn Seaborg

Till next time,
DT

No comments: