Been a bit of a struggle to think of something to write about today. I have quite a lot on my mind but it is not something I really want to share yet, though maybe later in the week as I have a potentially important appointment coming up. So the topic isn't a great one, but it was either that or talk about my CD collection and, trust me, that is not pretty.
I've got the next in my Many Silly Adventure Challenges coming up this weekend. For those who don't know, have a little look at the links on the left hand side (Friends of Serenity and Tom's Many Silly Adventures). I'm basically raising money for a very important charity by doing a "challenge" event each month - swims, run, triathlons, mud-runs, zipline etc...
As mentioned, the next one (Challenge #10) is on Sunday and I have made the classic human trait (which a significant number of us suffer from I'm afraid) of leaving everything to the last minute. By that I mean my training. What is it about a lot of humans that causes us to do this, putting off stuff we don't want to do until such a time that we then get to a point that we wish we had done it earlier?!? I know I've done it all my life and even though I know I'm doing it, I can't stop myself.
I read a great article earlier in the week (I actually can't remember where so apologies to the author) which basically talked about procrastination and why we do it. It kind of centred on the mistaken belief we have that our future selves are somehow better equipped to deal with it.
We have this "oh I'll leave it to later and by then I'll have figured it out" approach. Which makes no sense as when then proceed to spend zero time figuring it out and instead the deadline gets closer and closer and closer. Our future self is then stuck in exactly the same situation, but with less time to deal with it. So we panic and somehow get it done, and yet we don't learn a single thing from this experience!!
So with you, my loyal readers, as my witness I promise that I will never put something off ever again. Well, maybe just a couple of things. Ah, who am I kidding? I'll be back to procrastinating like the best of us as soon as this challenge is over. I will instead endeavour to be slightly better than I have been.
To that end I have written a list of "medium to long term" tasks I need to do and I shall try and knock one of those tasks off per week. I'm not actually going to tell you what they are though, in case I don't do them and they end up dribbling along as they always have.
I think I may be a lost cause on this but there is still time for you. Find something you have been putting off and get out there and do it. You'll feel much better once it is done. Probably. I wouldn't really know to be honest, I've spent the last two hours writing this rather than doing the jobs I have got to do!!!
Today's #randomfactoftheday - Barra Airport on the island of Barra in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland is the only airport in the world where scheduled flights use the beach as a runway.
Today's #badjokeoftheday - Q: What do you call a man with a map on his head? A: Miles
Today's #websiteoftheday - Want to see celestial events? Sign up here (http://events.slooh.com/) -Next event is in about 4 hours from now by the way!
On this day: 1600, Giordano Bruno is burned at the stake for heresy. His crime? Supporting the Copernican Model of the Universe
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment