Valentine's Day - the day of love. But amongst the over-commercialisation, the giant teddy bears and the colour red EVERYWHERE is a more important message which I think has been lost somewhat. For me Valentine's Day is less about overt displays of affection and awkward "well we should do something shouldn't we" meals out, and more about something introspective and personal.
The cynics out there, and I was surprised not to find myself amongst them considering my luck with romance over the last year or so, ask why you need to wait till a particular day to show someone you care. They even go so far as to say that if you HAVE to be reminded to show a little love then you are probably not in the best of situations!! But I think it is more complex than that.
Life is very busy these days and it travels as such a pace that things like romance and affection do get pushed to one side. Ideally they shouldn't, but the fact of the matter is that they do. A lot of the time it isn't because the love isn't there any more but it is just the way modern life is. You get comfortable in a relationship and it no longer becomes the norm to tell each other every day that you love them, even though you may love them more than ever.
As I mentioned before, I think Valentine's Day itself is horribly over-commercialised but I don't think the concept is necessarily a bad thing in this day and age. The arrival of Valentine's Day is just a little nudge to remind you that the person you love probably hasn't been told it enough this year.
I guess what I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with a bit of fun and frolics on Valentine's Day. But beneath the superficial and the endless flowers, chocolates and champagne on display today is something much much more important.
By all means celebrate Valentine's Day, but don't forget that it is merely one day of the year. What you do for the rest of the year should be just as romantic, just as thoughtful and most importantly of all, just as full of love.
Today's #randomfactoftheday - Last year in the UK, people spent a total of £978m on their partners on Valentine's Day.
Today's #badjokeoftheday - A horse walks into a bar. The barmen says "hey". The horse grins and responds, "you read my mind".
Today's #websiteoftheday - 5 minute talks on a variety of subjects. Held every three months. I had a go last night and I think it was at least a partial success! (http://igniteliverpool.com/)
On this day: 269, martyrdom of the "original" Saint Valentine
Till next time
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment