Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Ljubljana - Living up to Expectations

I'm rubbish at this whole blogging thing recently. 
I'll get better, probably. 

Anyway, for now here is the second part of my Mid-European Capital Trip (only about 1 month after I actually went!). Full review will follow on my TravelPod blog when I get my backside into gear and do it.

Capital #18 - LJUBLJANA



Fresh from my trip to Zagreb I bordered a very quiet looking and clean train to head over into one of the other capitals re-established following the break-up of Yugoslavia in the 1990s – Ljubljana.

The train journey itself is very picturesque, following the River Sava all the way from leaving Zagreb to pulling into the Slovenian capital. It was very peaceful and relaxing, and not a bad way at all to enter one of the cities that I have been really looking forward to seeing.

And it didn’t disappoint one bit. I thought Zagreb was nice but I’m glad I didn’t give it 5 stars as Ljubljana blew it out of the water. From the cobbled streets of the Old Town, the imposing figure of the Castle perched on the hillside and the numerous cafés, bars and restaurants which blanket the riverside – this was stunning.

You can cover most of the “things to do” in Ljubljana in a day with relative ease. Ljubljana Castle is well worth a look (though more for the views than anything else) and there are a few very good museums such as the City Museum which will hold your attention for a good few hours if you are that way inclined. But this is no Lisbon, Budapest or Copenhagen in terms of things to do, it is more the setting and the ambience of the place which is the charm.

I’ve never been to Paris but elements of this sound positively Parisian. I think I could spend a month here and never run out of places to eat, drink, enjoy a book or just watch the world go by. The river meanders its way through the centre of the city and the gentle flowing of the water brings a sense of serenity and peace which is rare in cities these days, never mind capitals.

Most of the cities I love have many things to bring me back; the baths of Budapest, the museums of London, the cafes of Lisbon etc.. Ljubljana is different but still magical. I can see myself returning time and time again – simply to do nothing and watch the world go by.

Verdict: 5 stars out of 5

Next on the Capital Tour is the (apparently delightful) Riga in a few weeks. This will be a slightly different trip as I’m joined by my brother-in-law (who I ticked Dublin off with many, many years ago) and our friend (who was my Oslo companion). Expect plenty of drinks, some good food and a wee bit of banter.

Till next time,
DT 

No comments: