Tuesday, 11 November 2014

EVENT REVIEW: Pandemonium ICED

Bit of a “back-fill” here, I’ve decided to review the remaining OCRs I did at the start of the year and add them to the list so that I’ve got a full list of what has been done. Survival of the Fittest has been done twice so I’ve only reviewed the latest one. When I redo a race I’ll revisit the original review and see if it still looks about right.

So anyway, it is now time for Part 7 of Team MUBU’s "Seriously, How Good Was That?!" Obstacle Course Race Review. The scoring criteria and categories are covered in a previous post which is somewhere on this blog (see bottom left in the Archive).

PANDEMONIUM ICED
5km Urban Obstacle/Mud Run
February  2014
Warwickshire

The very first obstacle race that Rick and I ever did together. Seems a very long time ago now! It was cold, windy and one of the funniest days we’ve had doing these races. If this had been a bad experience then I don’t know if I’d still be doing these, thankfully it wasn’t.

General Event Organisation
A very small, almost community-run event. The sign up was pretty decent and everything we needed was delivered comfortably in time for us. Pretty standard and what we would expect from the professional OCR companies so no complaints.
7 – Good

Event Facilities
Only a couple of stalls (one of the food ones closed before we were finished!) but it was a tiny event so we shouldn’t expect huge marquees, burger vans and merchandise stalls. Decent amount of toilets and a bag drop. A nice little touch was the free minibus to shuttle you from the car park to the start line.
6 – Above Average

Registration
Quick and easy. Not too many people running but they had enough folks there to manage it and the process was painless.
7 – Good

Location
A bit in the middle of nowhere but the directions got us there OK and it turned out to be a pretty decent place for a race.
7 – Good

On Course Facilities
Can’t remember a water station so may be doing them a disservice if there was one. No distance markers and the marshals didn’t quite know what the route was in all cases. Some of them were dressed as zombies though so you can forgive them for staying in character.
6 – Above Average

Warm-Up
Can’t remember if there was one so I’m going to award 5 points.
5 –Average

Variety of obstacles
Vaguely remember there being a decent mix of obstacles, though nothing that stands out as being a “signature” one. Tough to mark them down based on my poor memory.
7 - Good

Obstacle/Run mix
Despite only being 5/6km I distinctly remember running for large periods of this. I know I do OCRs as a hobby but I don’t actually like to run too much, it makes me legs hurt for the obstacles.
6 – Above Average 

Terrain
Plenty of ups and downs and decent use of the available land and natural resources, including the ice-lake-of-death.
7 – Good

Post-Race
Nice technical t-shirt and one of the best medals we’ve had so far (though it didn’t come for a week or so as their supplier let them down). Also had some funky Pandemonium mugs for sale (£5 I think) so picked one of those up afterwards.
7 – Good

Difficulty
Only short so never likely to be too tough. Don’t remember having any great difficulties with the obstacles, certainly the running was the major cause of my pain the next day.
Course: 6 out of 10
Obstacles: 6 out of 10

Overall Thoughts
We had a lot of fun doing this one, especially considering it was our first one together. I think there are more impressive ones on the calendar though and it has certainly been supplanted by later events (though that might be a bit harsh  on Pandemonium as it is never easy to go first!)

Overall Score
6.5 – A fun “small” event that may be very different the next time it comes around on the calendar. This was actually a pretty decent event for a couple of newer OCR runners and I’d have no trouble having another go if the price was right.

A reminder of the new system
10.0 Nothing will ever get 10.0, you should always strive for better
9.5 Sell organs AND children. And everything you own. About as good as it gets
9.0 Sell organs and/or children to do this event every single time
8.5 Highly recommended indeed, this gets booked as soon as it is released
8.0 A very good event, only money or illness would stop this being  a yearly thing
7.5 Definitely one to recommend. Not much would keep me away
7.0 On the list for another go, though not necessarily an automatic selection
6.5 Would do this one again if the stars aligned, but wouldn’t break the bank for it
6.0 Was fun but only a very cheap deal and a free weekend would tempt me again
below 6.0 Not found one of these yet. Hope I don’t

EVENT REVIEWS SO FAR
7.5 Reaper Day Race
7.0 Tough Mudder North West
7.0 Survival of the Fittest Manchester
7.0 Spartan Sprint Yorkshire
7.0 Total Warrior Lake District
6.5 Pandemonium Iced
6.5 Stockton River Rat Race

Till next time,

DT 

No comments: