Fool's Errand is actually the first book in Robin Hobb's third trilogy set within a particular world. The first trilogy was set some 15 years before the start of this one and is located in the same place with some familiar characters. The second trilogy is actually set on a slightly different part of the world and there is little cross-over between, except for a few "in passing" references and one particular character.
Synopsis
The story picks up with Fitz, 15 years after the culmination of The Assassin Trilogy, living a peaceful life with his adopted son, far away from the demands of the court and political life. He enjoys the simple, rustic pleasures of his days and has no real desire to return to Buckkeep and the intricacies of the Six Duchies.
Unfortunately for him, his former mentor has a different plan and events are set in motion which will require Fitz to return to Buckkeep and once again give up his freedom and serve the Farseer line for the good of the kingdom. The sacrifices will, as ever, be high but with his most loyal companion and closest ally with him it is nothing beyond what he has already done.
Review
It has been a while since I read a Robin Hobb book, but I slipped back into the style and pace of the story as if I had never been away. Part of that is due to the fact that the "stars" of this book have (mostly) been well established during earlier books and so there is a familiarity to the setting and the characters which eased me back in very nicely. I guess, you could read this without reading her previous stories set in this world, but I wouldn't recommend it as there is a good degree of reference back to earlier adventures.
The story is actually quite slow-burning at the start as we are introduced to Fitz and his life following the events of 15 years ago. But it is not long before the usual intrigue and political games rear their heads and Fitz is dragged back to the world he has desperately been trying to avoid.
It is obvious that these books are part of a large "arc" and so Hobb has time to expound on things from her earlier stories and give them more depth - without feeling the need to rush things as there is plenty of time for things to come together. The magic systems particularly benefit from the extra time taken to fill in a few gaps which I felt were left very vague (possibly deliberately) in the first trilogy.
The story is nothing which you haven't seen before. A prince disappears from the castle a short time before he is to be married and our "heroes" have to find him and bring him back in time. There is the usual array of plotlines which grace these types of books; not knowing who to trust, a rebel cause, plenty of brooding and enough action to keep you on your toes.
But Hobb is careful not to get dragged too deep into cliches and these individual elements work well together to create a story that is interesting enough on its own but you know and feel is only a small part of a much large whole. In the same way you can enjoy The Hobbit on its own but it is even better when taken alongside the Lord of the Rings books, Fool's Errand is an enjoyable enough tale - but more of an interesting foreshadowing of what Hobb has planned for the remaining two books of this Trilogy.
Personally I didn't feel it was her best work, it was a bit too predictable if I'm honest and I didn't find myself engaging with the story as much as I would have liked. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a very enjoyable read and as a "welcome back" for Fitz and a prelude to the events to come I think it works wonderfully well.
Verdict: 4 starts out of 5
No comments:
Post a Comment