Monday, 28 April 2014

Finding an identity

I seem to have fallen off a cliff again when it comes to keeping this blog going. I don't know why but for the last month or so I have really struggled to find topics to talk about without regurgitating past posts or resorting to low-brow discussions about things that don't really interest me but I know a bit about (i.e. the current football season).

It all seems to be part of a general funk which I'm feeling. I've not been able to get out and do much the last few weeks with this box attached to me and its lead to quite a bit of introspection on my part. Having plenty of time with your own thoughts can often be quite dangerous and I guess there has been a sense for me recently of feeling a bit lost.

My creativity has hit a bit of a wall and I've been thinking quite a bit recently about who I am and where I want to go with the rest of my life. I feel like I'm missing an identity recently, which is very strange as I was feeling very "on track" and focussed earlier on in the year. Maybe it is just part of the natural ebb and flow of life and right now I am in one of those "self-observation" phases that are apparently quite common with my condition.

But I think it is something many people can actually identify with (ironically), a lack of identity or an appreciation of your place in the world. It is particularly prevalent in this media age where everything is labelled, disected, pigeon-holed and analysed over and over again. Everyone seems to be expected to conform to something but when we don't it is often difficult to find your own place. So this last week has been a bit of an odd one. I've found myself reflecting and trying to make sense of a few things in my head.

It has taken a bit of time but I'm starting to realise that the key appears to be (and this is easier said than done) to stop worrying about having an identity of finding your place. The only place you need to feel comfortable is your own head and the only identity you need is, you. Getting too bogged down with who you "are" seems to stops you actually having any change of being that person. Everyone is unique, everyone has their own place and their own way of doing things.

Maybe Batman had the right idea though. Pick a couple of identities, one of them is always bound to fit the situation!

Today's #randomfactoftheday - The Pitcairn Islands has the smallest population of any democracy in the world. 56 at the last count (2013).

Today's #websiteoftheday - The Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo. I've been. It tells you all about Thor Heyerdahl. He was an awesome adventurer and pioneer (http://www.kon-tiki.no/e_aapning.php).

Today's #badjokeoftheday - I heard a really good whale joke the other day. It was a killer.

On this day: 1947, Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set sail from Peru on the raft Kon-Tiki. The aim was to help to prove Heyerdahl's theory that people from South America were the original settlers of Easter Island, not the Polynesians from the West as was generally thought at the time.

Till next time,
DT

No comments: