So today has been a serious nostalgia trip. I always seem to do this when I'm nervous about something big, regress to what I suppose you would say is a simpler time. Being a kid really was very easy, I just wished I'd realised it at the time. We spend a large part of our youth wishing to be older, then when we get older we begin to understand what it was that got wished away!
Tonight has been a cracker though, partially because I found my Mysterious Cities of Gold DVDs. For those who don't know what this program was, I seriously recommend you Google it. And Ulysses 31 as well for that matter. This really was the Golden Age of children's television, great stories that captured the imagination and taught you about the world at the same time.
But I found something else when I was digging around, the movie Chariots of Fire. Now if you've never seen it, you seriously need to go watch it. No special effects, no tricks, but quite simply one of the most inspirational and uplifting movies ever made (with possibly the most iconic opening theme in history). This was not a movie that needed to blow things up or convolute the plot to tie us in knots. It was simple, raw and, frankly, a million times better than anything we see today. Without the shortcuts afforded by modern technology this was how things used to be, you had no choice but to do it right.
I guess it is no surprise that when things get a bit overwhelming or complicated in life that people look for those calmer times. As I mentioned before, my default "protective" position is a regression back to when things were simpler in my life. I don't know why it is, I just feel more comfortable when I am reminiscing about how things used to be. Is that healthy? Probably not in all honesty, but it allows me to feel a bit more comfortable about what might be coming I suppose.
It is often difficult to feel comfortable with what is going on around you in life. Sometimes though, the best approach is to remember how simple things used to be, because in all fairness there is no reason they need to be so complicated now just because we are older and supposedly wiser!!
Today's #randomfactoftheday - Before SOS was adopted as the standard distress signal, operators would send "CDQ".
Today's #websiteoftheday - Fancy learning a bit of morse code? Check this out (http://morsecode.scphillips.com/)
Today's #badjokeoftheday - Q: What are the most dangerous vegetables on a ship? A: Leeks
On this day; 1912, at 11:40pm (ship's time) the RMS Titanic hits an iceberg in the North Atlantic on its maiden voyage. Over 1500 people lose their lives.
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment