****REVISED THIS A WEE BIT BASED ON A RETHINK - MAY HAVE DONE RAM RUN A SLIGHT DISSERVICE ****
The Christmas “rush” is over, all the mince pies have been eaten and the cupboard is empty of chocolate – except in our house but I try not to open that cupboard if I can avoid it!
The Christmas “rush” is over, all the mince pies have been eaten and the cupboard is empty of chocolate – except in our house but I try not to open that cupboard if I can avoid it!
The first OCR of the year has been and gone, and a cold one it was too.
Hard to believe it is almost a year since Rick and I embarked on Pandemonium
which was our first OCR together. He has got fitter, I have not – work must be
done to catch up!
So anyway, it is now time for the latest part of Team MUBU’s
"Seriously, How Good Was That?!" Obstacle Course Race Review. The
scoring criteria and categories are covered in a previous post which is
somewhere on this blog (see bottom left in the Archive).
RAM RUN
8km Obstacle/Mud Run
January 2015
Warwickshire
January isn’t the best month for OCRs – particularly for someone based
in the North West of the country. Ram Run was the only one that we could find
that was less than 4 hours drive away! A couple of OCR newbies joined us (and
hammered it) but this wasn’t one of the better ones.
General Event Organisation
It was pretty easy to sign up and go through the online process. Plus
the t-shirts were sent out in advance so you had them if you wanted to run with
them. Nothing was sent through the post but to be honest when we turned up we
didn’t need anything so that wasn’t a real problem. A point has been lost
though for the shambles on the day in terms of starting the race before the
advertised start time while some of us where having a pre-race wee!
7 – Good
Event Facilities
A single stall selling bacon sandwiches and soup but nothing else. The
base was a permanent structure so there were toilets and places to stand to
keep warm but very little else.
5 – Average
Registration
Considering there were less than 1000 runners the registration was
painfully slow and badly organised. Some people were running in the trophy race
at 11:30am but nearly missed the start as it took so long to process. Once you
get there you didn’t need anything except your name so I have no idea why it
took so long.
4 – Below Average
Location
Pretty easy to get to and find. The park at Stoneleigh is perfectly set
up for OCRs but I feel they could have made more of it and had a few more
stalls and a better organised “finishing” arena. Just felt a bit undercooked.
7 – Good
On Course Facilities
A water station after a few km and a coffee station after you climbed
out of the River Avon kept you hydrated and warm-ish. Plenty of marshals around
but no distance markers and in some places the route wasn’t too obvious.
7 – Good
Warm-Up
Didn’t see them.
0 - Absent
Variety of obstacles
A decent mix of going over things and under things. A few signature
ones but this felt like what it was, a small race realising that the bigger
ones are pulling out all the stops and this is falling behind a bit.
7 - Good
Obstacle/Run mix
Too much running to be a classic OCR. I know you have to run at these
things and the running sections are a good way of stretching the field out, but
the early bit was full of queues and the middle section just a variety of hills
and fields.
6 – Above Average
Terrain
Not the hilliest place but they managed to use the terrain well enough.
Good use of the river and the general surrounding areas.
7 – Good
Post-Race
The t-shirt arrived beforehand which was great (and it is a nice
t-shirt too) but there was no medal for the 8km racers (nowhere in the sign-up
pack or anything did it mention that) and I didn’t see hide nor hair of a
post-race pack. No-one greeting you at the finish line, just felt like they
didn’t really have any interest in the 8km racers.
**UPDATE** - apparently a medal is on the way!
**UPDATE** - apparently a medal is on the way!
6 - Above Average
Difficulty
This wasn’t really a difficult course, just a bit tedious. Certainly the
running bits should cause no trouble for anyone with a decent level of fitness
and the obstacles were easy enough for the most part.
Course: 5 out of 10
Obstacles: 6 out of 10
Overall Thoughts
Well it finally happened, after over a year of OCRs I finally found a
which was a bit disappointing. I didn’t like this from the shambles at the start and it was
difficult to get into the groove and find some enjoyment out of it. Yes I’m not
fit and that meant I struggled to get round but there was nothing driving me on
and wanting to make me complete it.
Overall Score
6.0 – A small event that is going to struggle to
compete with the big boys of the OCR world – both in terms of the organisation
and the challenge it offers. Glad I did it as it has been on the radar for a
while and I’d always wondered what it would be like, but doubt I’ll go again.
A reminder of the new system
10.0 Nothing will ever get 10.0, you
should always strive for better
9.5 Sell organs AND children. And
everything you own. About as good as it gets
9.0 Sell organs and/or children to do
this event every single time
8.5 Highly recommended indeed, this
gets booked as soon as it is released
8.0 A very good event, only money or
illness would stop this being a yearly thing
7.5 Definitely one to recommend. Not
much would keep me away
7.0 On the list for another go,
though not necessarily an automatic selection
6.5 Would do this one again if the
stars aligned, but wouldn’t break the bank for it
6.0 Was fun but only a very cheap deal
and a free weekend would tempt me again
below 6.0 Not for me for one reason or
another.
EVENT REVIEWS SO FAR
7.5 Reaper Day
Race
7.5 Yorkshire Warrior
7.0 Tough
Mudder North West
7.0 Survival of
the Fittest Manchester
7.0 Spartan
Sprint Yorkshire
7.0 Total
Warrior Lake District
6.5 Mighty Deerstalker
6.5 Pandemonium
Iced
6.5 Stockton
River Rat Race
6.0 Ram Run
Next up was supposed to be Tough Guy on 1st February but I’m not fit enough for
that one and can’t do the cold weather acclimatisation training in time. So instead
I’m taking a 7 week break and returning at Avalanche
– Chase the Yeti on 28th Feb. Hopefully fitter, stronger and
with my enthusiasm back.
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment