Sometime in February I wrote a blog post bemoaning the amount of jobs that existed in this world which I thought contributed nothing to society (sports agents, political spin doctors and "life coaches" were among those I think I targeted with my ire).
I will admit though that the starting point of that blog was sports professionals; why, I thought, should people be paid for playing a game? What have they contributed to society by, for example, kicking a pig's bladder around a field for an hour and a half? How does that help anyone except themselves?
But there was something missing in my analysis I think, I failed to realise that the contribution to society from a person doesn't necessarily have to be tangible or measurable. Sometimes the contribution is more abstract, more difficult to define. Sometimes it is simply a case of providing inspiration, providing hope.
Our lives are essentially a collection of stories and memories; those of ourselves and those who we encounter along the way. We often have an unhealthy obsession with what other people are doing (our neighbours, celebrities etc...) but sometimes the stories that are told by other people's lives provide inspiration to our own. And this intangible element is one I admit I have overlooked in the past.
Sometimes we don't realise what can be achieved until we see other people achieve it. We seem to be overly cautious, finding reasons why things can't be done. Often all it takes is a spark, that moment of realisation that maybe whatever it is isn't beyond us. We hear people's stories, see where they came from and we begin to understand that people aren't so different in the end.
A lot of the time the only difference is whether some has taken that spark of inspiration (from wherever it comes) and chosen to do something with it. It is not always easy, or even obvious a lot of the time, but these moments cross our paths more frequently than we take them. So do we "sieze the day" as it were, accept the inspiration and try to mould it into something? Or do we resist the moment and shy away from the chance to maybe be an inspiration ourselves?
I believe it is within everyone to make that choice. That spark will come, the moment that has the potential to change everything if you just allow it to. Be bold, be courageous and, most importantly, don't be afraid. Fact is there may be very little stopping you except your imagination, your desire and your will. Life is short so make sure your story is the one that is heard, you never know who might be listening.
Till next time,
DT
No comments:
Post a Comment