Thursday, 12 February 2015

REVIEW: Neither here nor there by Bill Bryson

Travelling has always fascinated me, ever since I was young. Being born and growing up abroad will do that to you – it gives you a greater sense of awareness of the size and scale of the world. I didn’t return to the UK to live permanently until I was nearly 7, and by this time I had already seen the USA, Australia, Far East, Europe, The Pacific and South East Asia. That kind of travelling at a young age almost always a great desire to do more as you get older.

One thing I love almost as much as travelling is reading about other people’s travels. I love reading and hearing other people’s opinions of places I’ve been to – but I also love seeing new places and different takes on things. Not everyone travels for the same reason and hence not everyone experiences the same things at the same places. This variety has always held an interest for me.

Bill Bryson is one of my favourite travel writers for a number of reasons.

I love his style of travelling first and foremost. I’m very much what I would call a “big ticket planner”. I like to have the big items like travel and accommodation sorted in advance. Part of this is due to the fact that, whilst I’m not exactly travelling on a shoestring, I don’t usually have the funds or time to risk pitching up somewhere and not being able to find anything except a £200pn room and a £1000 flight home!! I am then a bit freer to explore the sights of somewhere, safe in the knowledge I know where I am sleeping and where I’ll be heading next.

Bryson doesn’t do this. He has a vague plan but he travels very much by the seat of his pants. Or seems to at least. Neither here nor there was written in the early 1990s and since then there has been an explosion of backpacking and the like, maybe that was the way people travelled back then and it simply doesn’t happen that much anymore.

Regardless, his travel style allows him to see so much more than the sights of a place – he can really get under the skin and understand how places tick. The culture and the traditions of a place are often even more fascinating than towering domes, huge gorges or architectural masterpieces.

This comes across in his writing style too. I find my travel reviews tend to be very factual when I read them back, Bryson’s ebb and flow and give you a real sense of what it was like being there – not just a list of what to do and not to do. It is, I think, a difficult skill to master and one I admire greatly and strive to emulate.

Neither here nor there follows Bryson as he recreates (in his 40s) a journey he made when he first arrived in Europe some twenty to thirty years previously. From the north of Sweden down through Europe to Istanbul he follows his nose as he makes his way around the diverse continent.

Part of the interest in this book is seeing how the different parts of the continent have evolved at different speeds. This book is probably 25 years old and yet, for example, Florence sounds pretty similar to how I remember it (though I enjoyed it more than Bryson evidently did)! Yet other places are unrecognisable compared to what they are now like.

The way Bryson shifts through the varying landscape, people, languages and cultures is very symptomatic of how Europe used to be. The Eurozone has, to some extent, created much more uniformity throughout the continent – yet this book harks back to the “good old days” of having to change currencies every time you crossed a border and having a passport full of stamps.

Maybe that is some of the appeal of this book, a bygone era unsaturated with the internet where if you wanted to see a place you had to go and see it. Nowadays you can drop a little man into a street and see exactly what the front door of your hotel looks like whereas 25 years ago you might turn up in a city and have no idea which country even you were in.

The end result, for me, is a joy. From the many anecdotes, some good and some bad, through some more sombre political and socio-economic commentaries this book has everything a good travel book should have. And by that I don’t mean a Rough Guide or a Lonely Planet (which have their merits I’ll grant you).

I mean a REAL travel book, a book actually about travelling the world and seeing the many sights and sounds it has to offer. Bryson does this better than anyone and, 25 years on, this is still funny, insightful, relevant and interesting. I can’t give much higher praise.

Verdict: Everything a travel book should be about. 5 stars of out 5

Till next time,
DT

No comments: