Saturday, 5 November 2011

Where HAVE you been?

In the wake of the revelation that there are now 7 billion people in the world (at a conservative estimate), National Geographic did a nice couple of photo articles 

10 of the least crowded places in the world

Happiness Hotspots
This got me thinking about my travels (both past and future) and so I’ve decided to compile a couple of “best of lists” – one I’ll share with you on this blog, the other will come later in the week.

5 of the best places I’ve ever been to (in no particular order)

Budapest – One of (if not my) favourite city in the world so far. It’s a fantastic place with a great mix of the old and the new; the fast and the slow. On one side of the Danube you have Buda with its abundant walks and fantastic views, as well as the winding cobbled streets of the older castle district. Cross the river into the Pest side and you have the flatter and more modern city with nice restaurants and bars (though still retaining their identity and history) as well as the sensational thermal baths and beautiful City Park. I’ve been in the height of summer (when the temperature was over 40 degrees) and in the week before Christmas (when it was comfortably sub-zero) and there is always something new to discover. Yeah it’s a bit more “rundown” in some areas compared to some of the Western capitals but its not unwelcoming or dirty at all. Give it a whirl, I hope you won’t be disappointed.


Barbados – I guess this should technically be classed as a work trip as I was here when I was 17 enjoying a 3 week cricket tour with school. Well, enjoying the rum, the beaches and the fact that you simply aren’t able to stress even if you try – the cricket was less enjoyable and in fact exceptionally painful on more than one occasion. For a 17 year old on his first trip outside the UK without parents it was an eye-opening breath-taking experience from start to finish. I had my first hangover on this holiday, played my first game of beach cricket and encountered a style of life that I had rarely seen up until this point. By all accounts a lot has changed since 1997 and Bridgetown for example isn’t quite the same place it was when we wandered through it a 5am trying to find one more bar that was open – but at the time this was one of the most amazing places I had ever seen.

Brunei – OK, there is a bit of a theme here with places that begin with a B!! I spent two years living in Brunei as a 5 – 7 year old due to my dad working on power plant that was being built just outside the capital. Although my memories of it are slightly hazy and I am relying somewhat on stories I have been told, I do have plenty of fantastic memories of this tiny (yet unbelievably wealthy) nation many miles away. Walking through the fish markets every Saturday seeing Red Snapper the size of me; trekking and canoing through the jungles of Borneo; eating Chicken Satay bought from a guy at the end of the road who seemed to have them on the go permanently; visiting the Sultan of Brunei’s palace and polo club on a school trip (soooo much gold). As a young child growing up I don’t think I fully appreciated how amazing and lucky I was to have these experience which are so different from life in the UK- but looking back now I understand exactly how fortunate I was and how much I’d love to go back and see it again.

Sirmione – Finally somewhere that doesn’t begin with a B. I love Italy; the food, the wine, the people (once you get used to certain aspects), the fantastically rich history and the amazing architecture which still dominates the majority of the cities. It has a number of instantly recognisable landmarks which are known the world over; think the Leaning Tower, Coliseum, the lagoon city of Venice, St. Peters Basilica and so on. However, the one place which transfixed me (and probably Nat too) more than any was the tiny little town of Sirmione (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirmione) which at the end of a little peninsula jutting out into Lake Garda. You enter Sirmione either by boat or on foot across a tiny little bridge next to the 13th Century Sirmione Castle and instantly the world feels different. Cars are only allowed in at certain times and in certain numbers so foot traffic dominates. The place is touristy but not overly so (and certainly not as tacky as Pisa or places like Florence are becoming) and the overwhelming feeling is one of relaxation and serenity. The lake gently laps against the shore which is shallow enough for you to simply wander in paddle around the cool, fresh waters while the town itself is famous for its thermal springs and Roman ruins. Our enjoyment was enhanced by the view from our hotel room and the fact that we had been camping for nearly 2 weeks solid and so a soft bed was most welcome but it was so much more than that. You will often hear people criticise certain areas of Lake Garda (and with very good reason in some cases – see Gardaland) but this is one bit of it that should be high on the list of places to visit for anyone in this area of the world. 


Fiji – Part of our round the world adventure which concluded our Brunei adventure was a 10 day trip to Fiji (and specifically Beachcomber Island, a tiny tropical island) parked in the Pacific Ocean somewhere. Although the slightly terrifying boat ride we endured to get there is  probably the source of my ability to get seasick in the bath (in the dark, boat rocking from side to side, minor incident with having to swim the last 50m or so as the boast was too deep to come to shore) Fiji still holds many great memories. True, there isn’t actually that much to do except lie on the beach or swim in the sea – but there are other islands you can visit and the communal entertainment/feeding area is alive every night with the sights and sounds of pacific island life. Also true is that I was 6 and a half and spent the ENTIRE time playing mini-golf with an Australian boy of similar age – neither of those facts take away from the fact that, to me, this was a magical place and somewhere I will never forget. FYI, the boat ride back was calm, smooth and swim-free but the damage was already done.

As you can probably guess, I love to travel and have been lucky enough to be able to indulge this love both as a child and also as an adult. The question when you love to travel is always “where next?” but sometimes its great to sit back and consider where you have been and how much joy you got out of it.

Till next time
DT

No comments: