Friday, 21 August 2015

Up

So it is that time again, challenge time. Tomorrow's one is going to be a different one though, my comfort zone isn't so much being left as being completely obliterated. Despite the number of physical challenges I've put myself through, I'm actually not that fit a person - strange as that may seem! 

Without a shadow of a doubt, Challenge #28 is the one I've been most nervous about; partly because it is something very different to anything I've done before, and partly because I genuinely know this one will hurt. In about 8 hours I'll be on my way up Pen-y-ghent, the first of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.

The Ribblehead Viaduct, should be passed around 11-11:30am tomorrow 

Like most of my challenges, the method of preparing for this one appears to involve an acute case of insomnia the night before, coupled with a really common feeling of "why the heck didn't I do more to get ready for this one"! I won't lie, I'm pretty terrified about this one. I have at least two dodgy knees, I'm substantially free of any real stamina and I'm carrying quite a bit more weight than I ideally would like to be. 

I'm always drawn on the night before a challenge to thinking about WHY I'm putting myself through these things. Tomorrow's challenge is actually a work-related effort to raise money for our fabulous Charity of the Year (LUPUS UK) - and it is another cause I'm delighted to be helping with on top of my Friends of Serenity work. There is something unbelievably rewarding about that, and it allows a real sense of perspective. 

There are so many people in this world who suffer daily, real suffering and real pain that won't fade after an ice bath or with a few beers afterwards. Its a depressing fact of life, but its also a real giver of strength if you use it the right way. Whatever tomorrow brings, you have to embrace it - there will always be someone worse off than you, and there will always be someone better off. No matter the trials and tribulations, try to enjoy the good moments.

So no matter how difficult tomorrow feels, I know really that I'm a pretty lucky guy when all is considered. If the worst thing I have to worry about is dodgy knees, I probably don't need to worry at all. And if, in the meantime, I can help someone else's life be even one tiny bit better, then I'll consider it a day well spent.

I should probably get some sleep though first!

Till next time,
DT

No comments: