Thursday, 9 July 2015

A very pleasant surprise

So an unexpected bonus arrived earlier this week – I’m delighted, and a little stunned, to have been shortlisted for a Butterfly Award in the category of Committed Baby Loss Volunteer. It was a real shock for me and I’m very honoured to see my efforts noticed in this way.

The Butterfly Awards are a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the positive which has arisen out of something which can be negative, distressing and so very cruel. They celebrate survivors and those that champion baby loss awareness causes – of which Friends of Serenity are proud to be included. Last year we had a few nominations and were lucky enough to be able to sponsor an award at the ceremony.

What I do doesn’t ever really feel like hard work, certainly not at the level that so many other people put themselves through for these causes. I run round a field every now and then getting covered in mud and cursing the fact that I have probably had comfortably more than my fair share of alcohol and takeaways over my nearly 35 years.

To be even considered for something like this is heart-warming and humbling at the same time, and it is a fantastic reward for everything that we have been working towards. The new Butterfly Suite is built and looks amazing, the Serenity Suite has been refurbished and, of course, Jo and Mark welcomed little Toby into the world a few weeks ago.

Times like these make you appreciate what you have, but also encourage you to strive for more. To never give up, to never say “we have done enough”. There is such a long way to go, and the journey may never end, but the trip is certainly one which it is an honour to be a part of.

There will be more to come on the Butterfly Awards soon, I’ll be posting a link to my nomination profile once I have it up and running, and there is a fair possibility that I will be begging each and every one of you to vote.

A vote for anyone is better than no vote at all. If you vote for me that’d be even nicer but the most important thing is to have people reading these posts, being made aware that these kind of awards are out there and showing an interest. The more awareness we can bring to baby loss and baby loss charities, the better it will be for those who need our help and our love.

So keep your eyes peeled for further details, and in the meantime please feel free to share with everyone and anyone.

Thank you as always.

Till next time,

DT

No comments: